Thursday, April 18, 2013

Whole wheat zucchini, carrot, apple chai seed muffins...

So we're a bit muffin obsessed at our house. First because I love to bake, secondly muffins make such a nice easy snack for our toddler, and third they're an awesome way to get extra fruits and veggies in our diet. This recipe for zucchini carrot apple muffins is our new favorite. I did make several small changes to the original recipe as discussed below. I love carrot cake and these honestly remind me a bit of that with the texture and raisins but they are healthy...win-win!

As you can see from this picture the batter is really thick, but don't worry it bakes up great!


Delicious muffins....these are awesome for adults and kids alike! Even my friend who doesn't really care for veggies said she loved them!





Tip from Rebecca's kitchen: The food processor is your friend with this recipe! Since all those veggies and fruits need to be shredded I used the food processor as it would have taken a really long time to shred them all by hand. I decided to make these whole wheat as we're trying to change to whole wheat with as much as we can in our house. For every 1 cup of all purpose flour in the recipe I substituted 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and it worked well. I also added 1 Tablespoon of Chai seeds to to the batter, and we love raisins, so included about a cup of those. I did not include the coconut that the original recipe called for and used pink lady apples since that's what we had at home. The recipe baked 24 regular size muffins and we just froze the extras! I did follow her recommendations for baking them at 400 degrees for the first 10 minutes and then turning the oven down to 350 for the remainder; it took an additional 8-10 minutes from there for ours to be cooked.

2 comments:

  1. We also love muffins! Although I haven't gotten around to making any sort of healthy version :(

    Can't wait to check out more of your recipes and attempt some!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaryn - thanks for stopping by! Let me know what you guys think of these after you try them! They also keep great in the freezer when you make a big batch!

    ReplyDelete