Friday, June 28, 2013

Strawberry rhubarb bars....

Rhubarb seems to be that classic summer dessert ingredient, and I hadn't honestly cooked with it for a couple of years. But when my parents came to visit about a month ago they brought fresh rhubarb straight from their garden, so I had to find a delicious recipe as a treat. I came across these Strawberry rhubarb crumb bars on Pinterest and decided to give them a try, and oh my goodness they were fantastic!!! It's the perfect combination of sweet and tart and that strussel topping...yum!

I made a couple of modifications, and yes, I've already made these a couple more times we loved them so much. I used whole wheat flour in place of the oat flour called for in the original recipe since I had that on hand, and I omitted the crystallized ginger because frankly I had no idea what that was and definitely did not have it. I also skipped the lemon zest since I wanted to throw together the recipe that evening and didn't have a lemon. Still turned out awesome! Also I used my 8x8 glass pan and they fit great.

We picked up some more rhubarb at the farmers market earlier this week so I'm thinking a pan of these might be on tap for the weekend:)

Yum looking filling for the bars...




1 comment:

  1. I love rhubarb and strawberries-my grandmother makes a jello like mixture and it's my fave!

    ReplyDelete